[X2Go-Dev] x2go with git submodules

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Nov 7 13:12:52 CET 2012

Hi Ralf,

On Mi 07 Nov 2012 12:49:33 CET Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> I'm sorry, my last mail should have been sent to the developers list (of
> course).

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> maybe I shouldn't do this before knowing x2go better, but since I was
>>> somehow shocked by this bash script...
>>>
>>> I've actually executed it and found out that I should delete the
>>> deprecated line *and* the line
>>>
>>> x2goagent.git \
>>>
>>> since also that gives a 'permission denied error'.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, when I look at http://code.x2go.org/gitweb, I somehow get
>>> the impression that the list on the webpage is completely outdated.
>>>
>>> So, here my suggestion. Use git submodules and tell developers to clone
>>> the sources like
>>>
>>>   git clone git://code.x2go.org/x2org.git
>>>   cd x2org
>>>   git submodule init
>>>   git submodule update
>>>
>>> Someone from the core developers should (of course create the initial
>>> x2org.git.
>>>
>>> For demonstration purposes you can start with
>>>
>>>   git clone git://github.com/hemmecke/x2go.git
>>>
>>> but some core developer should actually produce a x2go.git like
>>>
>>>   mkdir x2go
>>>   cd x2go
>>>   git init
>>>   for r in buildscripts.git ,,, ; do \
>>>     git submodule add git://code.x2go.org/$r; \
>>>   done
>>>   git commit
>>>
>>> with the correct list of (sub-)projects or simply clone my x2go.git and
>>> add the missing projects via
>>>
>>>   git submodule add git://code.x2go.org/libjpeg-turbo.git
>>>
>>> and then publish that x2go.git repo somewhere.
>>>

>>> This probably doesn't give you the exactly same setup as you had before,
>>> since (as you can see from the git://, everyone would only get read
>>> access to the repository.
>>>
>>> But hey, we are dealing with git, nobody actually needs write access to
>>> anybody elses repository. The X2GO project has just to declare some of
>>> the many repositories as the OFFICIAL one and one or two people would be
>>> responsible to push into this OFFICIAL repository. For collaboration
>>> there is github and all the other free git-repository hosting providers.
>>>
>>> But of course, that is all up to the inner core of developers who
>>> decide. I've just made my suggestion. Feel free to adapt to your actual
>>> needs. (Since I am too new, I don't yet know them.)
>>
>> Implementing what you suggest is very likely to break our build
>> infrastructure, which automatically builds nightly debian packages for
>> debian and ubuntu. I'm not saying that it was impossible to do what
>> you suggest, but we must ensure first that changing the repository
>> organization does not cause regressions for our users.
>
> Huh? I don't understand this. All I suggested was to add a new "super"
> repository that pulls in the existing ones for a local setup. All your
> official repositories can stay where they are. You could even leave the
> bash script in place if you like.
>
> I think I forgot to include a link.
> [...]

it feels as if there is a misunderstanding...

Each Git projects on git.x2go.org is complete by itself and reflects a
quasi Debian-like source package so we can easily build your packages
for Debian+Ubuntu right out of Git.

However, X2Go falls into several components, some for the server, some
for the client. Combining these components in your installation is of
your choice.

So, the issue about checking out all Gits at once is just for us
developers as we normally work on all Git projects.

Thus, it is very hand to clone all the X2Go upstream Git projects
locally in one blast. A shell script is sufficient for that, I guess.
I actually do not want to set up a meta Git project pulling in all
other Git projects as submodules as in daily development work it does
not make much sense. Thanks for your thoughts, anyway!!!

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31