[X2Go-Dev] x2go with git submodules

Ralf Hemmecke hemmecke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 13:26:17 CET 2012

> it feels as if there is a misunderstanding...

> Each Git projects on git.x2go.org is complete by itself and reflects
> a quasi Debian-like source package so we can easily build your
> packages for Debian+Ubuntu right out of Git.

So each comes with its own version number and there is no dependency
between the different sub-projects?

Git submodule would allow to have a global tag for a consistent set of
all the subprojects.

> So, the issue about checking out all Gits at once is just for us
> developers as we normally work on all Git projects.

Exactly.

> Thus, it is very hand to clone all the X2Go upstream Git projects
> locally in one blast. A shell script is sufficient for that, I
> guess.

For cloning, yes. But not for tagging. But maybe you don't need or want
that.

> I actually do not want to set up a meta Git project pulling in all
> other Git projects as submodules as in daily development work it does
> not make much sense. Thanks for your thoughts, anyway!!!

I don't feel offended. It was just my 2 cents. I understand that a new
person cannot simply come and change the existing workflow.

My problem is lack of documentation. I don't know where to start.
I'd still like to have x2go without the need to become root, but
obviously that is not too easily achievable.

Ralf