[X2Go-Dev] x2go with git submodules

Ralf Hemmecke hemmecke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 12:49:33 CET 2012

I'm sorry, my last mail should have been sent to the developers list (of
course).

On 11/07/2012 12:25 PM, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> maybe I shouldn't do this before knowing x2go better, but since I was
>> somehow shocked by this bash script...
>>
>> I've actually executed it and found out that I should delete the
>> deprecated line *and* the line
>>
>> x2goagent.git \
>>
>> since also that gives a 'permission denied error'.
>>
>> Furthermore, when I look at http://code.x2go.org/gitweb, I somehow get
>> the impression that the list on the webpage is completely outdated.
>>
>> So, here my suggestion. Use git submodules and tell developers to clone
>> the sources like
>>
>>   git clone git://code.x2go.org/x2org.git
>>   cd x2org
>>   git submodule init
>>   git submodule update
>>
>> Someone from the core developers should (of course create the initial
>> x2org.git.
>>
>> For demonstration purposes you can start with
>>
>>   git clone git://github.com/hemmecke/x2go.git
>>
>> but some core developer should actually produce a x2go.git like
>>
>>   mkdir x2go
>>   cd x2go
>>   git init
>>   for r in buildscripts.git ,,, ; do \
>>     git submodule add git://code.x2go.org/$r; \
>>   done
>>   git commit
>>
>> with the correct list of (sub-)projects or simply clone my x2go.git and
>> add the missing projects via
>>
>>   git submodule add git://code.x2go.org/libjpeg-turbo.git
>>
>> and then publish that x2go.git repo somewhere.
>>

>> This probably doesn't give you the exactly same setup as you had before,
>> since (as you can see from the git://, everyone would only get read
>> access to the repository.
>>
>> But hey, we are dealing with git, nobody actually needs write access to
>> anybody elses repository. The X2GO project has just to declare some of
>> the many repositories as the OFFICIAL one and one or two people would be
>> responsible to push into this OFFICIAL repository. For collaboration
>> there is github and all the other free git-repository hosting providers.
>>
>> But of course, that is all up to the inner core of developers who
>> decide. I've just made my suggestion. Feel free to adapt to your actual
>> needs. (Since I am too new, I don't yet know them.)
>
> Implementing what you suggest is very likely to break our build
> infrastructure, which automatically builds nightly debian packages for
> debian and ubuntu. I'm not saying that it was impossible to do what
> you suggest, but we must ensure first that changing the repository
> organization does not cause regressions for our users.

Huh? I don't understand this. All I suggested was to add a new "super"
repository that pulls in the existing ones for a local setup. All your
official repositories can stay where they are. You could even leave the
bash script in place if you like.

I think I forgot to include a link.
http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Submodules

Ralf