[X2go-dev] Compiling x2go Windows client

--[ UxBoD ]-- uxbod at splatnix.net
Fri Nov 12 13:46:33 CET 2010

----- Original Message -----
> --[ UxBoD ]-- schrieb:
> >> Yippee have built a cross compiled version of x2goclient by copying
> >> libQtSvg4.a to libQtSvg.a on the Windows VM plus doing the same for
> >> QtGui, QtNetwork and QtCore. Not sure why Windows and Linux are
> >> different with their filenames.
> >>
> >> I copied the resulting binary across to the Windows VM and fired it
> >> up. That worked fine though once I entered my username and password
> >> the client crashed and was intercepted by Qt debugger.
> >>
> >> This is so so frustrating as every step forward that is taken is
> >> countered by two back steps. Hopefully one of the developers will
> >> be
> >> able to help as we are really running out of time to get a
> >> functional
> >> X2Go client working. Mouse issues etc with Xming is causing us
> >> major
> >> issues and we need to test with VCXSRV ASAP.
> >
> > Have tried with 3.01-13 and the unstable branch each one crashes as
> > soon as the username and password is entered :(
>
> Hallo Phil,
> since version 3.01-4 there is no project file for windows. Linux,mac
> and
> windows parts are merged in one "x2goclient.pro" file. We using Qt
> 4.5.3
> configured to make static release binaries on lenny to perform
> cross-platform builds of x2goclient. But with newer versions of qt on
> windows x2goclient although is working without a problem, no matter
> what
> you use to build x2goclient mingw or msvc. I think you have a problem,
> that some binaries are missing in your installation. Please try to
> install original x2goclient and try if it work. After that, replace
> x2goclient with your binary. Please be sure that your binary works in
> this installation before you make any changes in x2goclient code.
>
> Happy hacking,
> alex

Hello Alex, really appreciate your response :) I have taken the Windows X2GO 3.01-11 and installed that on Windows XP 32 bit.  I backed up x2goclient.exe and the proceeded to compile the same version of x2goclient using MinGW and Qt 4.7.1 (this could be where the problem is arising!) using the steps; qmake followed by mingw32-make release and that created the binary.  I copied that to c:\program files\x2goclient and ran it. It started fine and I connected to my existing session, once I entered my username and password it then crashed. This happens the same with both build under Linux and Windows. Using QtCreator I did manage to get some kind of debug information which said:

Creating desktop:  x2go_Administrator

ASSERT failure in QWidget: "Widgets must be created in the GUI thread.", file kernel\qwidget.cpp, line 1231
QObject::killTimers: timers cannot be stopped from another thread
C:\x2goclient-3.01\debug\x2goclient.exe exited with code 3

I will try downloading the same release of Qt that you are using.  Just to be clear I am assuming that you export your Windows Qt install to your Linux box and then compile using those libraries ?
--
Thanks, Phil