[X2Go-User] Can't install X2goserver on Debian 9

Jason Heeris jason.heeris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:07:26 CET 2018

On 14 March 2018 at 09:30, Nigra Truo <nigratruo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Purge complained that directories were not empty. Then, after I erased
the directories, it complains that they are not there (apt is super
annoying at times where you can't get it right, no matter how you try). Now
I'm stuck, can't install or deinstall:

Purely for future reference, apt/dpkg expects to be the one managing this
directory. If there's extra stuff in it, it'll fail to give you the chance
to sort it out or back it up (I think?). If the directory's gone though,
it'll be confused, because it's meant to be there if the package is
installed, and apt/dpkg is meant to be managing it.

I'm not sure why recreating the directory doesn't help though. Are you
doing it as root?

You could also try:

    $ sudo dpkg --purge --force-all x2goserver

If that doesn't work, you might need to manually hack on the the removal
scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ (the relevant ones start with the package
names eg. /var/lib/dpkg/info/x2goserver.postrm) to skip the directory check
and run the purge again, or get an x2go dev to send you a modified one.

I'm not an x2go dev, so I can only really give advice on the apt side of
things. Hope it helps. They may have other advice.

- Jason