[X2Go-User] x2go fails with tcsh

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Wed Oct 11 15:07:16 CEST 2017

Hi,

Mihai Moldovan wrote

> Like I suspected (tested on OpenSUSE Leap 42.3):
>
> /etc/csh.login:
> # Remark: /proc/sys/kernel/domainname and the program domainname
> # its self will provide the NIS/YP domainname, see domainname(8).
> if ( -s /etc/HOSTNAME ) then
>     if (! ${?HOSTNAME} ) setenv HOSTNAME `cat /etc/HOSTNAME`
> else
>     if (! ${?HOSTNAME} ) setenv HOSTNAME $HOST
> endif
>
> This should use "set" to set the variable, not setenv. Can you do me a favor and

I'm not sure if this is a bug. Wouldn't it make sense that the
variable is set for a login shell (csh.login is executed then)
and is inherited by any other tcsh spawned from that shell?
Otherwise, starting a new instance by just typing "tcsh" would
have $HOSTNAME undefined. While this would help for the special
case with x2go, I don't think it would be correct in general.
For using set, HOSTNAME should be defined in csh.cshrc so that
every tcsh get's the same value. I can ask SuSE about that.

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/
Lehrstuhl f. Bioinformatik    Mail: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/m/