[X2Go-User] x2go fails with tcsh

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Wed Oct 11 06:27:22 CEST 2017

On 10/10/2017 12:13 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> Whatever sets it, it's not tcsh itself. Likely some global startup script. Care
> to grep -R HOSTNAME /etc?

Like I suspected (tested on OpenSUSE Leap 42.3):

/etc/csh.login:
# Remark: /proc/sys/kernel/domainname and the program domainname
# its self will provide the NIS/YP domainname, see domainname(8).
if ( -s /etc/HOSTNAME ) then
    if (! ${?HOSTNAME} ) setenv HOSTNAME `cat /etc/HOSTNAME`
else
    if (! ${?HOSTNAME} ) setenv HOSTNAME $HOST
endif

This should use "set" to set the variable, not setenv. Can you do me a favor and

>> Anwyay, I added "setenv HOSTNAME `uname -n`" to my .cshrc and:
>> x2go works :-)
>
> Better use hostname -s.

Oh, and don't use setenv, but set. Or to work around the actual bug, use
unsetenv HOSTNAME first and then set it with "set".

Mihai