[X2Go-User] x2go login error

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Mon Jan 19 23:37:04 CET 2015

Am 19.01.2015 um 19:01 schrieb Rance Hall:

> I added the redirector as you suggested.  I was concerned that I
> could not see this output as it contains valuable information, but
> the output is still visible and x2go now connects to this server
> without issue.

That sounds weird.  If the output is redirected, then it should not
show up at all.  Could it be that you have added the line to several
scripts that are run at login?

Here's a snippet of information that might help you find out where to
search, written down by a friend of mine:
- ----8<----start snippet----8<----
Bash will read the following files in the following sequence:
if it is a login shell:
		/etc/profile (if present)
		afterwards:
		(if present) ~/.bash_profile
		(else, if present) ~/.bash_login
		(else, if present) ~/.profile
		-> only the first match of these last three will be used, if any of
these three files are present.

if bash is an interactive *non*-Login-Shell:
		/etc/bash.bashrc
		afterwards:
		~/.bashrc (if present)

Login-Shells are used by console-tty, ssh, other remote Logins,
sometimes sudo and su.
*non*-Login-Shells are used for the other cases (like xterm, other
X11-Terminal-Clients, and some other caseses of sudo and su).

A classic X-Login will run /etc/X11/Xsession, which in turn checks if
~/.xsession and ~/.xsessionrc are present.  If they are, .xsessionrc
will be sourced, while .xsession will be spawned as a separate process.

- ----8<---- end snippet ----8<----

And if that wasn't already confusing enough, there's more to be found at
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html

> Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome!  Thank you for choosing X2Go!

- -Stefan

- --