[X2Go-User] Fwd: Ctrl-s not recognised (OS X client)

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Wed Apr 8 06:25:45 CEST 2015

On 08.04.2015 12:35 AM, Christopher Thomas wrote:
> No, I don't think it is an OS X problem because when I ssh into the
> same servers directly from OS X then Ctrl-s works fine, emacs sessions
> work as expected for example.

OK. But that doesn't rule out any desktop environment or the like on the
server side.

How are you starting emacs exactly?

> And no, I am not confusing the Ctrl key with the apple Cmd key.

Just pointing that out, I find myself confusing keys a lot when
dual-booting between OS X and Windows...

> I am not a linux expert by any means, but I am wondering if this has
> something to do with flow control, ie XON/XOFF. Perhaps x2go is not
> sending Ctrl-s to the server so that XOFF is not sent to the server?

Nope. Additionally, I cannot reproduce this problem on my machines.

I'm connecting to a (Gentoo GNU/)Linux server machine from OS X and
starting up "urxvt" in single application mode (rxvt-unicode, a terminal
application.) In there, I'm starting "xev" (which shows all X events
received.)

Pressing Ctrl-S correctly yields:

KeyPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
    root 0x2c1, subw 0x0, time 2537757805, (10,-14), root:(30,28),
    state 0x4, keycode 9 (keysym 0x73, s), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (13) ""
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (13) ""
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Which is what it should return for a Ctrl-S keypress.

X2Go does not prohibit any keycodes from being sent, but the ones that
are caught by NX. Typically those are Ctrl-Alt combinations though and
should not interfere with "normal" keyboard shortcuts.
I'm surprised by your experience.

Mihai