[X2Go-User] connecting to same session via different networks

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Feb 4 17:18:09 CET 2014

Am Tue, 04 Feb 2014 07:47:32 -0500
schrieb Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com>:

> I routinely run a session that I connect to via one network address
> during the work day, and then connect via a different address from
> home.  I setup 2 sessions on the client side.  They have the same
> 'name', but different network addresses.
>
> This all seems to work perfectly.  I'm just wondering how it works.
> Do I get the same session because I gave them the same name?  Can I
> setup multiple different sessions by giving them different names?

The "session" on the client is only a definition of where to connect,
how big your local window/display should be and which app or
desktop-environment you want to have on the server.

When connecting to the server (regardless of the name or IP you use to
make that connection) x2go checks if there is already a suspended
sessions from you. If there is one (with the same app/DE to be run) its
used for this new connection. If there is no matching suspended
sessions, either because you now connect with a different app to run or
because there are only active sessions, you are presented with a
select-box to choose either to suspend a running sessions (thus kicking
the old client) and then reconnect. Or start a new session.

Starting a new sessions while another one is already running is
sometimes wanted when you only execute apps remotely. So for example
instead of running a full desktop remotely, you just execute firefox on
the target to get access to the intranet.
But be careful when one sessions of KDE (or Gnome) is already runnign
and you start the second: For most configuration-mechanisms there is no
locking. So you might overwrite stuff from one sessions with stuff you
do in the second session...

Have fun,

Arnold