[X2go-User] Instructions for manual install from source tarballs on a less well-known distribution

Ivan Kabaivanov chepati at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 14:16:01 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I would like to switch from freenx to x2go, but I don't use a well known
distribution.  I have LFS, Linux From Scratch -- a source based distribution.

I'm following the instructions from
http://wiki.x2go.org/installing_x2goserver_tarball and INSTALL from the
x2goserver tarball.  but I fail to get it to work.

Firstly, the server dependencies are listed as:

perl-suid
lsof
openssh-client
openssh-server
libconfig-simple-perl
makepasswd
libdbd-pg-perl
libdbd-sqlite3-perl
xauth

I've installed everything except for perl-suid as this is no longer part of
recent perl versions.  Not sure how critical this is.

Then, I follow the installation details from x2goserver's INSTALL:

========== BEGIN QUOTE ============
TARBALL INSTALLATION OF x2goserver
==================================

1.) USER + GROUP for X2go
-------------------------
Set up x2gouser account and its group if they do not exist
already:

 $ addgroup --system x2gouser
 $ adduser --system --no-create-home \
           --disabled-password --disabled-login \
           --shell /bin/false --group --home /var/lib/x2go x2gouser

2.) INSTALL x2goserver FILES
-----------------------------
Extract tarball and run

 $ make install

in base folder of the extracted tarball.

3.) SUID GROUP
--------------
Configure ownership, permissions and setuid user bit of x2gosqlitewrapper:

  NOTE: The described action have already been performed by the Makefile
  run, leaving this here for documentation only.

 $ chown root:x2gouser /usr/lib/x2go/x2gosqlitewrapper
 $ chmod 2755 /usr/bin/x2gosqlitewrapper

4.) DATABASE SETUP (SQLite only)
--------------------------------

 $ x2godbadmin --createdb

5.) INIT SCRIPT
---------------
Create a simple init script that starts $PREFIX/sbin/x2gocleansessions on
system start
(runlevel 2-3-4-5).

Alternatively, you can add a single line to /etc/rc.local:

/usr/local/sbin/x2gocleansessions &
============= END QUOTE ================

Here, there's some debianism, these two commands, addgroup and adduser, must
be some debian specific wrappers for groupadd and useradd.  Can you please
give me the regular groupadd and useradd command equivalents?

Also, in some documentation files, I've see mention of a group x2gousers,
while here the group name is x2gouser.  Which one is it?

Then there's the confusion of which packages I really need.  So far I'm
compiling the below packages in the following order:

nxcomp
nxproxy
nxcompshad
nxcompext
x2goserver
x2goclient

I use git for pulling the source by the way.

Then I do
 $ chown root:x2gouser /usr/lib/x2go/x2gosqlitewrapper
 $ chmod 2755 /usr/bin/x2gosqlitewrapper

Then I run as roon x2godbadmin --createdb (I use sqlite) and finally

x2gocleansessions

Then from another computer I fire up the x2goclient, create a connection and
try to initiate it.  This is what I get in the console:

$ x2goclient
ONMainWindow constructor

Can't load translator (:/x2goclient_en_us) !

Can't load translator  :/qt_en_US
ONMainWindows constructor finished, home Directory is: "/home/ivan"

read  2  sessions from config file
start new ssh connection

setting SSH DIR to  "/home/ivan/ssh"
ssh connection ok

continue normal x2go session

"x2gostartagent 1024x768 adsl 16m-jpeg-9 unix-kde-depth_24 us pc105/us 0 D
KDE"

Agent output: "50
4e95e90f6adaf1f7288f53a489a4e605
2449
ivan-50-1312372325_stDKDE_dp24
30004
30005
30006
"
starting nxproxy with:  "nxproxy -S nx/nx,options=/home/ivan/.x2go/S-
ivan-50-1312372325_stDKDE_dp24/options:50"

"
NXPROXY - Version 3.4.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2010 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '3940'.
Session: Starting session at 'Wed Aug  3 14:52:17 2011'.
Info: Connecting to remote host 'localhost:30007'.
Info: Connection to remote proxy 'localhost:30007' established.
"

setting SSH DIR to  "/home/ivan/ssh"
"channel_open_forward failed" :  "Channel opening failure: channel 47 error
(2) Connection refused"

"channel_write failed"  -  "Remote channel is closed"

"Error: The remote NX proxy closed the connection.
"

"Error: Failure negotiating the session in stage '7'.
Error: Wrong version or invalid session authentication cookie.
Session: Terminating session at 'Wed Aug  3 14:52:18 2011'.
Session: Session terminated at 'Wed Aug  3 14:52:18 2011'.
"

deleting proxy

nxproxy not running

proxy deleted

check command message

"channel_open_session failed" :  "Received SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT: Received ieof
for nonexistent channel 0."

If I try to login again, I get a window listing one running session, which I
can't resume and an error message:

Connection failed channel_open_session failed - Received SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT:
Received ieof for nonexistent channel 0.

In the debian installtion, I see you use sudo but in the INSTALL file this
step is missing.

I've install sshfs anf fuse and I believe all the other dependencies.

My questions are:

1) Any way to enable debugging on the server side
2) Any way to enable debugging on the client side
3) Do I need to install and use x2goagent

Any help/hints/useful links you offer will be greatly appreciated.  When I get
everything working, I will contribute a nice write-up for use on the wiki.
Modesty aside, I believe I write pretty clear and good documentation.  As I'm
working on my own LFS-based distribution, I will be following the new releases
of x2go and will be updating the instructions too.

Thanks,
IvanK.