[X2Go-Dev] x2goclient.exe - Saving session settings to registry

Daniel Lindgren bd.dali at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:38:35 CET 2012

>> I haven't tried the
>> --portable option in Windows, hopefully it allows you to start a
>> session from the command line (or a shortcut) by specifying the
>> session file.
>
> That is independent of --portable, as far as I can tell from x2goclient.exe
> --help, so it *should* (IOW, I haven't tested it) be possible with settings
> saved in the registry as well: The parameter to do that is
> --session=<session>, where <session> is the ID-string of a session saved
> either in a sessions file or in the registry.

Yep, it does work with registry settings but you then specify the
*name* of the session, that becomes impractical if you use files to
store the session, you would have to parse through all session files
to see which one contains the session you want to start. Not a problem
if you have a few files stored locally, probably not ideal if you have
a (slow) network folder with hundres of session files.

Using the name of the session file is a simpler approach, something
like "x2goclient.exe --portable --home=<path> --session=<name of
session file>". Might be confusing if the same parameter is used for
registry and files, maybe they should be separate, i e
"session=<registry>" and "sessionfile=<session file name>". That way
the --portable switch becomes redundant, it's implied if you specify
--home. If --home is specified and no --sessionfile you could let the
user browse available sessions in the client.

Just my $0.02 ...

Cheers,
Daniel