[X2go-Dev] Upgrading our git branches to NX 3.5

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Jun 29 20:57:48 CEST 2011

Hi Reinhard,

On Mi 29 Jun 2011 16:52:47 CEST Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've started to upgrade the git branches on code.x2go.org to 3.5. So far
> I've completed:
>
>  - nxcomp
>  - nxcompext
>  - nxcompshad
>  - nxproxy

Very great so far!!!

> x2goagent is still missing, and this is a bit hairy. In order to find
> out what has been actually changed compared to NX, I've compared the
> sources in nxagent-3.4.0-5.tar.gz to what we ship in x2goagent. Here, I
> noticed that 'our' x2goagent tarball actually combines several NX
> 'upstream' tarballs, among others 'nxagent' and 'nx-x11'. It is not
> totally clear to me what tarballs have been exactly used to construct
> the x2goagent sources.
>
> As for modifications, I've grepped through all sources for 'x2go'
> markers, and compared those files against the NX version. Find the diff
> attached to this e-mail. Alex, do you remember any additional changes
> that have been done to the NX sources?
>
> As comparison, I've had a look what the freenx team is doing [1]. It
> seems that they have had similar problems and also combined several
> tarballs into the source package 'nx-x11'. Feel free to check.
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/~freenx-team/+archive/ppa/+packages
>
> So, how to upgrade all this mess? Well, TBH, I think the FreeNX guys are
> doing a great job with their package.  They have accumulated a fair
> number of patches (18 to my counting) so far, which are mostly
> undocumented but generally look reasonable on the first glance. I think
> it would make sense to consider using their 'nx-x11' package as basis
> for x2goagent and add the x2go modification as additional patch to that
> package.
>
> Comments/Flames welcome.

Alex has already patched/upgraded x2goagent to version 3.5.0.x by
incorporating nxagent 3.5.0-x. Unfortunately, not yet in Git.

The current plan is (telephone session with Heinz yesterday) that he
will send me his work at the weekend and I would then upload his code
to x2goagent.git (if that is fine by you). Maybe then, we should take
individual looks at the freenx patches?!?

Would that work for you? Sorry for overlaps at this point!!!

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B