[X2go-Dev] Upgrading our git branches to NX 3.5

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Wed Jun 29 16:52:47 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've started to upgrade the git branches on code.x2go.org to 3.5. So far
I've completed:

 - nxcomp
 - nxcompext
 - nxcompshad
 - nxproxy

x2goagent is still missing, and this is a bit hairy. In order to find
out what has been actually changed compared to NX, I've compared the
sources in nxagent-3.4.0-5.tar.gz to what we ship in x2goagent. Here, I
noticed that 'our' x2goagent tarball actually combines several NX
'upstream' tarballs, among others 'nxagent' and 'nx-x11'. It is not
totally clear to me what tarballs have been exactly used to construct
the x2goagent sources.

As for modifications, I've grepped through all sources for 'x2go'
markers, and compared those files against the NX version. Find the diff
attached to this e-mail. Alex, do you remember any additional changes
that have been done to the NX sources?

As comparison, I've had a look what the freenx team is doing [1]. It
seems that they have had similar problems and also combined several
tarballs into the source package 'nx-x11'. Feel free to check.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~freenx-team/+archive/ppa/+packages

So, how to upgrade all this mess? Well, TBH, I think the FreeNX guys are
doing a great job with their package.  They have accumulated a fair
number of patches (18 to my counting) so far, which are mostly
undocumented but generally look reasonable on the first glance. I think
it would make sense to consider using their 'nx-x11' package as basis
for x2goagent and add the x2go modification as additional patch to that
package.

Comments/Flames welcome.