[X2go-Dev] TCE-Server

Moritz Struebe Moritz.Struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Jun 14 13:49:30 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-14 13:42, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> The reason why I recommend hosting of chroot images on a separate
> machine (a machine that does nothing else, apart from being a PXE
> server) is that when upgrading the chroot you may encounter service
> restarts during package upgrades that might have an effect on other
> system components.

Which components are you thinking of? Or just possible apt-get updates?

> The strategy has been adopted from a friend of mine who is a Linux
> service provider for schools in Oslo (Debian Edu context). They mostly
> roll out diskless workstations there (i.e. systems with NFS-roots) and
> that originally is their experience.

While I see your poit, I think this solution might be a suggestions, but
not in any way recommended. If you don't yet have the appropriate
infrastructure using an extra server or VM might backfire badly, as it
is yet another server to be taken care of.

Cheers
Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Struebe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
WWW   : http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~morty