[X2go-dev] Installing x2goserver-one in Debian added 300 users to fuse and x2gousers groups

Heinz-M. Graesing heinz-m.graesing at obviously-nice.de
Sat Nov 20 21:18:54 CET 2010

Am 20.11.2010 18:12, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 11/20/2010 12:03 PM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> Hi Nikos,
>>
>> On Sa 20 Nov 2010 01:04:25 CET Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>
>>> I followed the instructions in the Wiki and installed x2goserver-one
>>> on my Debian Lenny server.

x2goserver-one One Node Edition is intended for single server usage.
This means: One server, "n" users as x2go is not a Remote Desktop, but a
Terminal Server Project.

> I don't understand what a "big installation/context" is. Most admins
> just want a remote desktop for the servers they administer. Me too. I
> don't have a reason to use Postgre for anything.

You can use more than one server and have them work together (incl. load
balancing). To use this scenario you'll need to have centralized storage
places for session management and user authentification which can be
reached by all servers. In this case you can't use local data storage
systems.

> version was -home.  The one person version was -one.  I'm one person,
> and I want me, and only me, to be able to login per x2go.  So I
> installed -one.

The home server is intended for Ubuntu only. The name was choosen by the
Ubuntu folks talking to us some time ago...

> Also, what's the point in adding users like "apache" and "mysql" to
> x2gousers and fuse?

The script responsible for adding the users can be found here:

/usr/lib/x2go/script/x2goconfigusers

/usr/lib/x2go/script/x2goconfigusers
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
my @users=split("\n",`getent passwd`);
for(my $i=0; $i<@users;$i++)
{
  my @user=split(":", at users[$i]);

  if(@user[2] >= 1000 && @user[2] < 29999)
  {
      # print "add @user[0] (@user[2]) to x2gousers\n";
      system("adduser @user[0] x2gousers");
      system("adduser @user[0] fuse");
  }
}

As you might see, the idea was only to add users above uid 1000 which
are normally used for real users (not system users).

best regards,

Heinz