[X2go-dev] Installing x2goserver-one in Debian added 300 users to fuse and x2gousers groups

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat Nov 20 21:54:59 CET 2010

Hi Nikos,

On Sa 20 Nov 2010 18:12:16 CET Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 11/20/2010 12:03 PM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> Hi Nikos,
>>
>> On Sa 20 Nov 2010 01:04:25 CET Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>
>>> I followed the instructions in the Wiki and installed x2goserver-one
>>> on my Debian Lenny server. However, during the installation, it told me:
>>>
>>> Attention: If you want to allow users to log into the x2go system,
>>> you'll need to add them to the "x2gousers" group
>>>
>>> but then it went on all on its own and added all users (about 300) of
>>> the system to the "x2gousers" as well as "fuse" groups! How do I undo
>>> that? Right now, I need to click around for hours in the Users and
>>> Groups admin tool :-$
>>
>> The x2goserver-one package is intended for little Ubuntu systems...
>> (standalone, sqlite, make your desktop reachable from home). So the
>> auto-adding for groupmember is intended here, I suppose (make it easy
>> for the user).
>>
>> For bigger installations/contexts use the x2goserver package (no -home,
>> no -one at the end of the package name) with PostgreSQL DB backend, the
>> x2goserver package does not impose auto-groupmemberships on you.
>
> I don't understand what a "big installation/context" is.

That's a terminal server, for example.

> Most admins just want a remote desktop for the servers they
> administer. Me too. I don't have a reason to use Postgre for anything.

In this case the sqlite version is preferable. I never have problems
with the scripts as my user DB is always LDAP. Thus, only my local
admin user gets added automatically.

I guess Gerry is right with his posting, only users with a local home
may be added. Much nicer would be a debconf selection screen that
allows the administrator to manually select X2go users from a list of
local passwd user.

> So it's a big server, and I want a remote desktop to it for
> administrative purposes.  Do you recommend to install Postgre and
> the normal x2goserver on it?

Nope, not in that case.

> I was under the impression that the home version was -home.  The one
> person version was -one.  I'm one person, and I want me, and only
> me, to be able to login per x2go.  So I installed -one.

As I have already written in my other posting: always test software on
non-production systems. Once you have done that you know about the
caveats and then things like this do not happen.

> I suggest the installation to be adapted to this. -home might add
> users to x2gousers, but why -one?

I rather suggest a line of documentation in the wiki... Changing
package names after many people have already installed them is nasty...

> Also, what's the point in adding users like "apache" and "mysql" to
> x2gousers and fuse?

This has never happened on my systems that I access as a local
administrator. You are using Ubuntu... what version? Are you using
apache and mysql from the Ubuntu archive or do you have a special
blend of the LAMP software. The X2go x2goconfigusers script only adds
users that have uidNumber 1000-29999. The apache and mysql user should
be system users, that is have a uidNumber <1000. So maybe there is
something irregular...

For further reference: adding users to X2go groups in GIT:
http://git.x2go.org/?a=viewblob&p=x2go&h=5025991b72d4f67006e9998bd9ee7f1a1be4c43d&hb=38b730a075cc77f747acf6fe585e0aeb728dda55&f=db-builds/x2goserver-one/x2goserver-one-3.0.1/x2goconfigusers

Greetings,

mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de