[X2go-dev] Disappearing text - problem and possible solution(?)

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Nov 17 17:56:01 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 12:56 +0000, Robin Green wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a problem with text (of certain colours only) suddenly disappearing from windows,
> and not being visible again until I disconnected and reconnected. This problem has been
> reported on the FreeNX mailing list, but I didn't see any mention of it here yet. I
> found that setting the image compression method to png (20M, I think) instead of
> jpeg, fixed this problem for me (so far). But it might be just a coincidence that I
> stopped having this problem - on the FreeNX list, some people report that the issue is
> very intermittent and hard to pin down.
>
> I am using a self-built X2Go Server with the latest NX libraries (also self-built) on
> the server, and on the client I'm using the standard Ubuntu/Debian packages (on
> Maverick). Incidentally, the client machine is actually a Virtualbox VM, although I'm
> not sure this is relevant.
>
> Regards,
Hi, Robin.  I don't have an exact answer for you but perhaps can spur
some ideas.  To get the text back, do you simply need to reconnect or do
you need to restart the x2go client? I ask because we had a huge problem
with the mouse pointer disappearing.  Reconnecting would not solve the
problem but restarting the x2go client would because it restarted the
embedded Xming X Server which was the real cause of the problem.

Replacing the embedded Xming with the newer, paid version of Xming
solved the mouse problem.  We have also been able to solve it by
replacing Xming with vcxsrv but that involved patches to the X2Go client
code which we hope to contribute soon.  Thus, if the problem requires a
client restart to resolve, it might be an Xming issue.

We have been changing our compression method from 16m-jpeg to
16m-png-jpeg and have found this both gives crisper graphics and
improves performance.  I do not know exactly what the change does and if
it has any negative effects.  We've not seen any negative effects yet.
Hope this helps - John