[X2go-dev] bash settings missing

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Feb 4 03:56:57 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 08:08 -0500, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 13:55 +0100, Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:
> > John A. Sullivan III schrieb:
> > > Hello, all.  Amidst our very successful testing of X2Go, we came across
> > > a permissions issue.  Our environment sets a default umask of 007 rather
> > > than the standard 022.  This was honored in our NoMachine environment.
> > > However, we recently started having access control issues where users
> > > could not edit each others' documents.  Sure enough, the default rights
> > > were rw_r__r__ rather than rw_rw____.  We checked our /etc/profile file
> > > in case something had changed and it is still a umask of 007.  We did a
> > > direct ssh and touched a file and it gave correct rw_rw____ rights so it
> > > appears to be something specific to X2Go.  From where does X2Go
> > > configure its bash environment?
> > >
> > > We are using Hardy on the X2Go server (in process of transitioning to
> > > Lenny) and Lenny on the X2Go Client.  Thanks - John

> > Hello John,
> >
> > x2go use ssh to login. It does not unset any environment variables or
> > umask options. If you running (for example ) a Gnome desktop, you
> > connect to you system
> > using ssh just as usual and start "gnome-session" using your x2goagent
> > as display. That's all. if you missing some environment or shell
> > options, it should be not a issue of x2go but of  desktop environment.
> > See /usr/bin/x2goruncommand to understand how x2go start desktop
> > environment.
> >
> > Best regards,
> Thanks for the direction.  I'll see if I can track it down.  The
> behavior is different than simply doing an ssh but the problem may be in
> KDE rather than X2Go! I'll let you know what I find - John
<snip>
My apologies - it was indeed a KDE problem.  We must have tested from
the command line previously and did not pick up this "unique" KDE
behavior.  It does not read /etc/profile on login to set umask.  To
solve the problem, we did add the line "session    optional
pam_umask.so     umask=007" to /etc/pam.d/common-session.  Thanks, all.

PS - we are still having the font problem raised in a separate email.
If anyone has a solution for that, we'd greatly appreciate it - John