[X2go-dev] Font mangling in X2Go

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Feb 3 03:05:10 CET 2010

Hello, all.  We recently changed our set up from NoMachine to X2Go.
Lots of good improvements, e.g., sound and device sharing.  However, the
system fonts are all minuscule - very hard to read.  We did set system
fonts to 96 dpi in the client.  This made no difference.  Looking at
x2gostartagent, it appears this setting is not used.  If anyone knows
what calls x2gostartagent, I'll see if we can come up with a patch.  A
quick grepping around /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/lib64/x2go didn't
reveal it.

We found
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/x2go-dev/2009-August/000082.html most
helpful and, if we do manually edit x2gostartagent, it does work but we
were hoping to avoid that.  However, we are not seeing the results we
expect by trying other methods.

I suspect part of the problem is that we are not directly connected to
the monitor so DDC is not detecting the monitor's resolution.  With no
data upon which to make a decision, X appears to default to 75x75.
Thus, we thought we would set it in xorg.conf so that we'd have some
consistency between the wildly varying resolutions our clients might
encounter as they move from desk to desk.  However, the setting seem to
have no effect.  This is our standard device section:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "dummy"
        Option          "UseEDID" "FALSE"
        Option          "USEdidDPI" "false"
        Option          "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

I would think we'd need only the DPI option with the dummy driver.

We also tried editing /etc/X11/Xresources/x11-common by adding Xft.dpi:
96.0.  This did not work.

We then created a ~/.Xresources file with the same setting.  That had an
interesting effect. It did not affect the desktop icon labels in KDE but
the font in Konsole was now correct.  However, when we did xdpyinfo |
grep resolution in Konsole, it still thought it was 75x75!

Is there anyway to get consistent and usable font sizes without manually
editing x2gostartagent? Thanks - John