[X2Go-User] Failing to resume session

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 18:52:02 CEST 2014

(Resending this email because I accidentally CC'd lists.berlios.de).

Hi Stephane,

I need to look into this more. I'll do so over the next few days.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 5:49 AM, Stephane Mutz
<stephane.mutz at blinksight.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I confirm the effect of the -nowgl option.
>
> I changed the setting on my windows client and could
> not resume the session anymore from it while I can when
> I remove the option.
>
> I created a new session after setting the -nowgl setting and
> could resume it from my linux client.

1st, note that "WGL" is VcXsrv's (and Cygwin X11's) equivalent of
nx-libs/x2goagent and X.org's "GLX". Both WGL and GLX are opengl
support.
"-nowgl" disables WGL.

2nd, I am a little confused. Under the github link, the X2Go user
stated that disabling WGL fixed the issue. However, you are stating
that enabling WGL fixes the issue.
Note that I am thinking that whenever you run X2Go Client (or
standalone VcXsrv) on a system that doesn't support OpenGL (including
a windows desktop over RDP), then WGL is disabled automatically.

> Can you explain the effect of the -extension XFIXES, -extension GLX
> and -nolisten tcp just so that I know what to set properly?

You can read about the 3 options here. This is the x2goserver version
4.0.1.15 version of the file:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goserver.git;a=blob;f=x2goserver/etc/x2goagent.options;h=32005ffd57dece7bf191fda1d74c9f1aa127b514;hb=c0ec55f91ff6449ce07800829a4d1331abbbb740

Basically the 2 options:
-extension XFIXES
-extension GLX
Disable the X11 protocol extensions "XFIXES" and "GLX". Disabling both
extensions maximizes compatibility with applications. If it turns out
that enabling 1 or 2 of these X11 extensions (by putting a "+" instead
of a "-" at the beginning) fixes compatibility with an application
that you use, only then should you enable 1 or 2 of them.

The option:
-nolisten tcp
Is important for security. Unless you have an application that depends
on it, or you specifically want to export your X11 display instead of
using X11 forwarding over SSH, you definitely SHOULD have that option
set. You can read more here:
http://superuser.com/questions/560532/what-is-the-nolisten-tcp-parameter-for-x

> Do you still want me to file the bug report?
>
> Regards, Stephane.

Yes, please do so.

Note that external X server settings you are using.

I have observed the issue even when you using the internal X server,
so I will add details about that as I investigate.

-Mike#2