[X2Go-User] ssh to anode failing from inside of a x2go session

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Tue Nov 13 16:14:49 CET 2018

Am 13.11.18 um 15:49 schrieb Josep Manel Andrés Moscardó:
> Hi,
> I have a connection to a x2go server (slurm login node) that works fine,
> but my issue is that when I open a terminal and try to ssh into a node
> it just hangs until it times out.
>
> Is there any restriction for it?
>
> I am connecting to the x2go server using password or ssh key, and trying
> to ssh to the node using ssh key or password, it doesn't matter.
>
> Thanks.

Using a key file isn't trivial in this situation.  I would suggest
making your first attempts using a regular username/password combinations.

First, try pinging the destination server from within the X2Go session.

If you can't ping it, the problem might not be with SSH but with an
underlying network (mis)configuration).  Running traceroute and looking
at/posting the output can't hurt, either.

Also, crank up the verbosity level of the ssh client inside the X2Go
session like so:

ssh -vvv user at host

You might also want to try to ping with larger packet sizes, like so:

ping -s 1500 host

if a regular ping works, but it fails when specifying "-s 1500", it
might be an MTU issue.  Start decreasing the number until you can get a
successful ping through, then set the MTU on the interface to that value.

-Stefan