[X2Go-User] x2go stops working on some Ubuntu 14.04 boxes

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Mon Mar 26 21:53:07 CEST 2018

* On 03/26/2018 03:45 PM, Qianqian Fang wrote:
> I run a small cluster for my lab, including about 12 Linux boxes running Ubuntu
> 14.04 (1x with 16.04). We have been using x2go and ssh as the primary tool to
> access these computing resources.
>
> Recently (started a month ago), I noticed there were package updates of x2go
> server (now 4.1.0.0-0-1517), client (now 4.1.1.1-0-1719) and the nx11 libraries,
> on the other hand, I started having difficulty log on to some of my servers, and
> this list starts to grow. I am not sure if this was the result of the recent
> package upgrade, or the reason motivated the package updates, but I started
> seeing the below two types of messages:

Please make sure that nx-libs 3.5.99.16 is installed on the server side.

> For some of the machines, I saw the below message initially:
>
> *The remote proxy closed the connection while negotiating*
> **
> *the session. This may be due to the wrong authentication*
> **
> *credentials passed to the server.*

This sounds like a typical incarnation of the DPMS bug, fixed with nx-libs
3.5.99.15.

> for some other servers, I am getting the below message:
>
> *Connection failed.**Failed to start X2Go Agent session with ID
> account-xxxxxx_stDXFCE_dp24. X2Go Agent terminated unexpectedly. Aborting
> session startup. *
>
> The 1st message appeared first, after I tried to restart x2goserver or rebooting
>
> the machine, or apply the updates, deleting the ~/.x2go folder, or a reboot, those
>
> machines typically display the 2nd message; none of those were fixed using the
>
> above procedures.

However, this doesn't sound like it. Normally the DPMS bug only manifests after
a pretty long time (say, an hour or 1.5h, depending on DPMS settings), but not
right away after starting the session. I haven't yet seen such an error message
yet. It's possible that it's caused by the session repositioning on non-first
displays/nxagent crashing bug as fixed with nx-libs 3.5.99.16, but normally that
incarnates differently (i.e., nxagent is being started successfully, but then
dies quickly while starting the session without a client-side error message).

Mihai