[X2Go-User] Some questions about X2go

Ulrich Sibiller uli42 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 14 21:43:33 CET 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Torsten Kupke <tkansgar at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> on my working PC there is running Ubuntu 16.04 with MATE Desktop (isn't the
> same as Ubuntu MATE, right?) and a X2go Server with Desktop Sharing
> extension. On my home PC with Windows 10 I have installed the X2go Client
> and inside it configured a session connecting to the Ubuntu host according
> to https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:usage:desktop-sharing. The connection
> is successful, but there are some issues:
>
> The Ubuntu host's desktop is spread over two 4/3 screens. But The Windows PC
> only has one screen with 1680x1050 Pixels. So the display from the Ubuntu
> host is highly horizontally compressed, so that the texts are nearly
> unreadable. OK, this behaviour is documented, but is there a way to get it
> more readable?

One solution could be to switch to full screen and then activating
resize mode. Normally this is done
by pressing ctrl-alt-r. Unfortunately this broken currently so you
have to do some adjustment first: Open /usr/bin/x2gostartagent in an
editor and change this line
   export NX_CLIENT="${X2GO_LIB_PATH}/x2gosuspend-agent"
   export NX_CLIENT="/bin/true"

I have not used connecting to local sessions for a long time so I am
not sure if the resize mode is working then.

> If I (to solve the above issue) switch to something other than full screen
> mode in the session settings, the session crashes, when started. I have to
> close and restart the X2go Client. And then with settings set back to full
> screen mode the session runs again. Is there a way to avoid the crash
> without full screen mode?

We are currently trying to find the reasons for several crashes. This
one sounds like https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/issues/679

> In full screen mode I cannot see any mouse cursor. So hitting any user
> elements inside or on the windows inside the display from the Ubuntu host is
> very difficult, since they are reduced to half the width. Is there a way to
> see a mouse cursor? Or is this due to the compressed display?

Oh dear, someone else reported this, but I have no idea what is
causing this. See here:
https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/issues/86

> Since mouse using is so difficult, I tried to close the windows from the
> Ubuntu host by pressing <Alt><F4>. But then I get a question from X2go to
> close the session. Is there a way to propagate key combinitions like
> <Alt><F4> to the remote host?

I have implemented something like that but it is not fully working
yet. And it is completely untested with windows.
https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/pull/393

Uli