[X2Go-User] Some questions about X2go

Torsten Kupke tkansgar at t-online.de
Wed Mar 14 18:24:37 CET 2018

Hi all,

on my working PC there is running Ubuntu 16.04 with MATE Desktop (isn't
the same as Ubuntu MATE, right?) and a X2go Server with Desktop Sharing
extension. On my home PC with Windows 10 I have installed the X2go
Client and inside it configured a session connecting to the Ubuntu host
according to https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:usage:desktop-sharing.
The connection is successful, but there are some issues:

 1. The Ubuntu host's desktop is spread over two 4/3 screens. But The
    Windows PC only has one screen with 1680x1050 Pixels. So the display
    from the Ubuntu host is highly horizontally compressed, so that the
    texts are nearly unreadable. OK, this behaviour is documented, but
    is there a way to get it more readable?
 2. If I (to solve the above issue) switch to something other than full
    screen mode in the session settings, the session crashes, when
    started. I have to close and restart the X2go Client. And then with
    settings set back to full screen mode the session runs again. Is
    there a way to avoid the crash without full screen mode?
 3. In full screen mode I cannot see any mouse cursor. So hitting any
    user elements inside or on the windows inside the display from the
    Ubuntu host is very difficult, since they are reduced to half the
    width. Is there a way to see a mouse cursor? Or is this due to the
    compressed display?
 4. Since mouse using is so difficult, I tried to close the windows from
    the Ubuntu host by pressing <Alt><F4>. But then I get a question
    from X2go to close the session. Is there a way to propagate key
    combinitions like <Alt><F4> to the remote host?

Sincerely
tkansgar