[X2Go-User] execute xmodmap on resume

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Fri Jul 27 16:57:48 CEST 2018

richard> Hello list,
richard> Not an x2go problem, but maybe someone might be able to guess what is
richard> happening here. I made a chmod 755 shell script:

richard> $ cat /usr/lib/x2go/extensions/post-resume.d/010-xmodmap
richard> #!/bin/dash
richard> test -f ~/.Xmodmap || exit 0
richard> /usr/bin/xmodmap -display $DISPLAY ~/.Xmodmap

richard> When resuming an x2go session, the script is executed, but x2go session
richard> starts but does not show up. The problem is that in one or another way,
richard> the xmodmap executable is waiting for something, but I have no idea
richard> what. Putting the xmodmap line to the background using an "&" makes the
richard> x2go session start, but the xmodmap mappings are not set. I still have
richard> to set the key mappings manually by invoking "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap".

It sounds like when the script runs, the Xserver isn't quite ready,
and xmodmap is waiting for that.  Maybe you can start debugging by
putting:

   xmodmap -verbose -pm

before your call, to see what it prints out.  And make sure the
$DISPLAY is set correctly too!

You can also do an 'strace xmodmap ...' call in there, to see where
it's going and what it's calling to.

John