[X2Go-User] client name

Ulrich Sibiller uli42 at gmx.de
Fri Aug 3 00:16:53 CEST 2018

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:05 PM, richard lucassen
<mailinglists at lucassen.org> wrote:

> When being a road warrior you can't do anything with a reverse lookup.

Ok, accepted...

>> What exactly is the reason for the xmodmap stuff? We aim to always
>> ensure a proper keyboard setting. I even have code that replicates the
>> client's keyboard configuration (unfortunately still not in production
>> code).
>
> That sounds good :-)
>
> It would also be nice if the client name could be transferred to the
> x2go server, e.g. as parameter or environment variable to the extension
> scripts. That would make things much more flexible and this would be in
> the spirit of the x2go-extensions IMHO ;-)

If x2go used openssh you could use the SendEnv/AcceptEnv configuration
for stuff like that. But I don't think libssh offers that.

But I have an idea/a workaround: create a directory on every client
that's named like the client and automatically forward it during
connecting. You can then deduce the client name from the mounted
directory. You can even put the xmodmap file there and just use it, so
you can skip the whole client name stuff.

Uli