[X2Go-User] X2Go TCE classic fails / use TCE-Live instead?

Jens Bürger jbuerger at arcor.de
Mon Apr 30 15:53:14 CEST 2018

Dear people of X2Go,

I did a fresh install of Debian 9 in a VM. I installed X2Go as stated here:
https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:installation:x2goserver

Then I tried to install the thin client environment as explained here:

https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:advanced:tce:install

I did not manage to get it running.
First, I tried x2gothinclient_create with mainly the default options.
The process aborted, in between 404s came up because the x2go-repos apparently don’t have wheezy support anymore.
Then I switched to stretch and tried again.
This seemed to work out, but the following links in /srv/tftp are broken (i.e. the files are missing)
pxelinux.0 -> /usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0
vesamenu.c32 -> /usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32
memtest86+.bin -> /opt/x2gothinclient/chroot/boot/memtest86+.bin

In a third try, I changed the release to jessie and started x2gothinclient_create over.
The process then aborts with unmet dependencies of x2goclient-chroot…

I meanwhile noticed the existence of TCE Live, but stating "This page is very much Work in Progess. Please leave a note on x2go-user at lists.x2go.org if you're interested in trying this out, so we can guide you along if something goes wrong.“

So, here I am :)

My first question is: what is the recommended method for thin client environment?

What do I need to consider if I want to use the Live method?

Kind regards,

Jens