[X2Go-User] Aborting session with 'Unable to , open display , 'nx/nx'

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Sun Apr 15 06:02:14 CEST 2018

* On 04/15/2018 04:59 AM, Qianqian Fang wrote:
> thank you so much! the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> was indeed the culprit! after removing it, I am now able to log in all my
> servers!
>
> I checked my file modification history for .bashrc, I added this path for a
> subset of my machines on March 11. It was also the window when I
> applied the package updates throughout my cluster, so I mistook the
> issue to the new packages. my bad!

Actually, that makes sense - we've only started using DT_RUNPATH with nx-libs
3.5.99.14, starting with March when we also switched to using this new version.
Before that, we inserted the correct link through LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well, but I
cannot remember if it was prepended or appended. If it was prepended, your
modification would have worked, otherwise not.

So it's been a combination of both things.

Try to keep LD_LIBRARY_PATH trimmed down. I understand that you may need it for
the nVidia binary driver and CUDA to work, but this might become problematic in
the future. Currently, we're statically linking in a copy of MESA into nxagent
and don't use the system libGL version that is normally provided by MESA, but
this might change in the future. If the system libGL references the nVidia
binary version, you'll run into problems again. It's not something that will hit
you right away, but likely at an unspecific point in the future. Just as a heads-up.

Mihai