[X2Go-User] x2go fails with tcsh

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Sun Oct 8 00:31:51 CEST 2017

Mihai Moldovan wrote

> 4.0.5.2 is quite old by now. This said, the change that explicitly calls bash on

I see, but that was the latest version the opensuse build repositories offer.
I'll try to compile form source.

> No, but I guess I know what the problem is. Quoting in bash and tcsh is
> different (esp. nested double quotes, which don't work by default in tcsh but is
> a special option), so some (or all) commands might not be getting executed
> correctly.

Ok, I understand that. Getting quoting right for different shells is more
than complicated...

> I guess we'll need a more sophisticated approach that executes bash directly
> once and then uses a bash instance to parse the command line instead of letting
> the user's default shell handle parsing the initial command.

We had similiar problems in configuring a host with a bunch of ssh commands.
Our solution was to create a bash script with all the neccessary code on
the client side on the fly, copy it over to the target host and execute it
there. Could that be solution here?

cu,
Frank

--