[X2Go-User] USB forwarding documentation

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Tue Nov 21 02:09:22 CET 2017

Am 20.11.2017 um 23:42 schrieb Seth Galitzer:
> I've been trying for a couple of weeks now to build a TCE image that
> this actually works on. I applied your new script to my latest attempt
> today and finally discovered that the libfreerdp-plugins-standard
> package is not actually getting installed in the chroot image. As a
> result, while the USB flash drive is getting correctly mounted in the
> expected location, when I run my RDP connection, I do not see the share
> presented by the tsclient host.

Ah-ha!

[libfreerdp-plugins-standard package missing]

> If I try "dpkg -l|grep freerdp-plugins" on the booted client, I don't
> get any results. Not even a package in "rc" state". If I grep for
> freerdp, I get the rest of the packages requested in the overlay list.
>
> I should note that I'm using a very lightly-patched x2goclient v4.1.1.1
> in this build and a slightly modified version of
> 2900-x2go-thinclientconfig from the chroot overlay, but I don't think
> these are related to this build issue. I will double-check the latter to
> make sure.
>
> Any thoughts as to what might be causing this or possible work-arounds
> this?

Are you using the timestamp feature I added? If so, I would first
compare timestamps of your running system and of the image you built.
cat x2go-tce-timestamp in the builddir vs. the build number you see at
the local or ssh login prompt (cat /etc/issue, bottom line), or, lacking
the timestamping code in your build, comparing the output of

# in the builddir
TIMESTAMP=$(stat -c %Y ./config/includes.chroot/lib)
HUMANTIMESTAMP=$(date --date="$TIMESTAMP")
echo "Build Version: $TIMESTAMP ($HUMANTIMESTAMP)"

# in the booted TCE
for TIMESTAMPFILE in /lib/live/mount/rootfs/*/lib; do
 TIMESTAMP=$(stat -c %Y $TIMESTAMPFILE)
 HUMANTIMESTAMP=$(date --date="@$TIMESTAMP")
done
echo "Build Version: $TIMESTAMP ($HUMANTIMESTAMP)"

Because to me, it sounds like you're not booting the image you're
expecting to boot. Maybe you're storing it to the wrong directory, maybe
the client you're testing with has a custom PXE boot entry that causes
it to boot the image from a different location, maybe your USB media is
actually a bootable X2GoThinClient because you were experimenting with
that, and you're booting off of USB rather than PXE, ...

Did you try using the entire build script from the wiki page, or only
patch the automount script?
What happens when you try to build a stock image using our scripts, our
git repo, and no custom changes?

I just checked it myself on a stretch amd64 build, a stretch i386
(686-pae), and a jessie i386 (686-pae), the package is always there,
just like it should be.

Of course, if all else fails, you could run unsquashfs, chroot into the
resulting directory, install the package manually, then run mksquashfs
again. I would suggest adding options
-comp xz -Xbcj x86 -b 1024K -Xdict-size 1024K
to mksquashfs (based on a suggestion by intrigeri from the TAILS team),
and reading the man page for mksquashfs first.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur