[X2Go-User] suppress GUI dialog when calling x2goclient --version from subshell

Seth Galitzer sgsax at ksu.edu
Mon Mar 27 21:33:15 CEST 2017

I'd like to be able to capture the version of x2goclient in a script and
report it back to the user externally. Use case for this would be an
external info dialog when running x2goclient in a thin client
environment. Bash script would look something like this:

#!/bin/bash
VER=$(x2goclient --version)
echo Your version is $VER

The client generates lots of additional info and warning messages to
stderr, which I can suppress using grep -v. I can get a clean version
number if I call it standalone on the cli:
$ x2goclient --version 2>&1 | grep -v x2go
When I do this, however, I get "Terminated" added to the output.

But as soon as I try to capture the output in a subshell per the first
snippet, the client can't get the tty and so opens the GUI About dialog.
I've tried using the --hide option, but this doesn't help.

I would like to just be able to invoke the client and get just the
version number with no additional output. I could just query the OS
package manager to get the installed version, but this doesn't give an
accurate result if I'm running from a binary I've compiled from source.
I'm working on hacking the code to get the result I want, but wonder if
there is an easier solution.

Any suggestion? Please let me know.

Thanks.
Seth