[X2Go-User] X2Go vs. XRDP

Stefan Seidel sseidel at vub.de
Tue Jun 13 12:27:28 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have been trying to get X2Go to a usable state for a long time. Some may
remember that I posted about slow performance even with Gigabit networking,
mostly web browser usage was problematic.

After having spent very much time trying to optimise X2Go to make it perform
acceptably, I gave up.

I then found and tried XRDP, and all my problems are solved. Although XRDP (with
xorgxrdp drivers) uses more bandwith than X2Go, it is much more usable in almost
all situations. Even ADSL links work ok, but with Gigabit connectivity it really flies
(including video).

I don't like to advertise for other "products", but this has made such a difference
that I could not withhold this information from those who are not satisfied with
X2Go.

Maybe as a means of making X2Go better, I would encourage X2Go developers to
install XRDP on a test server and test and compare its performance to X2Go. I would
be surprised if X2Go would perform better - in fact I was surprised how much better
XRDP was. Maybe there are things that can be done in X2Go to make it better by
looking at how XRDP does things.

I really wanted X2Go to work, but somehow it didn't work for me.
I wish you all the best for improving the project in the future!

Stefan