[X2Go-User] OpenSuse

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Thu Jan 26 15:39:37 CET 2017

On 26.01.2017 03:25 PM, Stefan Baur wrote:
> So what remains is the question why .bashrc is being sourced on OpenSuse
> 1) for ksh
> 2) in a non-interactive session equivalent to 'bash -l -c "echo foo"'
>
> Re: 1), I would take that up with the OpenSuse folks if I were you.

X2Go Client 4.0.5.1+ (hope I'm correct on the version) explicitly runs bash -l
-c '...', so that's why ~/.bashrc is executed.

> Re: 2), I'm not sure if that is expected bash behavior or not.  Mihai
> might know this from the top of his head, while I would have to go dig
> through the specs.  If it's not expected behavior, then the question is
> if it's happening due to something you changed (like manually sourcing
> that file from another file that gets sourced), or if it is a bug with
> OpenSuse as well.

Yes, it is expected behavior. Running ~/.bashrc is only bypassed when calling
bash as a non-interactive, non-login shell. We explicitly spawn a login shell,
though.

A good diagram regarding this rather complicated matter:
http://blog.flowblok.id.au/static/images/shell-startup-actual.png

Mihai