[X2Go-User] cygwin1.dll problem with windows 10

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Tue Jan 10 17:00:40 CET 2017

Am 10.01.2017 um 16:26 schrieb swizz ly:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to use x2go windows client on windows 10. For that I
> installed the newest available release of X2Go Version
> 4.5.0.2-2016.09.20 and also a heuler version 4.5.0.3 from
> x2goclient-4.0.5.3-2016.11.16-944dadf-setup.exe
> <http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/heuler/mingw32-4.8/qt-4.8/x2goclient-4.0.5.3-2016.11.16-944dadf-setup.exe>
> The installation went well in both cases, X2Go starts also without any
> problems. Unfortunately, connection to an X2Go servers fails due to
> problems with the cygwin1.dll version.
> Running the X2Go windows client in debug mode I have messages like this:
> x2go-DEBUG-../src/onmainwindow.cpp:10538> User mode OpenSSH server
> started successfully.
>       0 [main] sshd (5160) C:\PROGRA~2\X2GOCL~1\sshd.exe: *** fatal
> error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x1357408/0x1167408.
> This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
> cygwin DLL.
> Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
> and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
> *should*
> reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
> installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
> are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
>       0 [main] sshd 10156 fork: child -1 - forked process 5160 died
> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
>
> So it seems that there is an issue on Windows 10 with the cygwin1.dll
> that comes with the X2Go installation. The same X2Go Windows Client
> works well with Windows 7.

Did you follow the instructions in the error message?

"This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL."

While I wouldn't exactly recommend deleting all the versions you can
find right away, please do report back all the directories that contain
a cygwin1.dll.

I'd actually prefer to use the commandline for that, because it allows
for easier copying and pasting:

Open a cmd.exe and type:

dir C:\cygwin1.dll /s >allmycygwins.txt

and attach the resulting allmycygwins.txt file to your next e-mail to
this thread.

I know for sure that I've used a 4.0.5.2 build of X2GoClient on Windows
10 without issue, so I'm actually suspecting a problem with your
individual installation (just like the error message suggests).

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur