[X2Go-User] New x2go broken on Ubuntu 17.10

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Sat Dec 23 06:52:57 CET 2017

* On 12/22/2017 08:08 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> What does "but I can't use the bottom half or approximately right third of my
> desktop now" mean exactly? Are these regions not drawn at all? Or are they drawn
> but insensitive to clicks? Is the window big enough to cover the whole screen,
> or is local desktop stuff visible within these regions (which would indicate
> that the window is too small)?

I've played around with a 17.10 VM with Ubuntu MATE (not pure MATE) and noticed
that:

  - with the legacy nx-libs version:
    o the remote session had an 800x600 window within the proxy window (that was
correctly sized according to the fake fullscreen mode)
    o I got an xrandr error message upon session startup (version too old)
  - with the new nx-libs version:
    o everything looked huge, like you said
    o in MATE's appearance dialog, the "DPI" was set to 200 for some reason
    o xpyinfo reported a (more correct) value of 95
    o xrandr reported a *current* resolution of 800x600 and I haven't been able
to change it to a saner value

My current suspicion is that
  - MATE needs a newer version of the XRANDR extension to resize itself properly
  - nxagent for some reason passes through a wrong resolution value
  - MATE tries to cope with the weird
should-be-high-resolution-but-is-low-instead by situation by raising the DPI value

I guess I'll have to figure out where this discrepancy is coming from.

Mihai