[X2Go-User] Customize Published Applications menu layout

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Tue Mar 15 15:27:54 CET 2016

Am 15.03.2016 um 14:41 schrieb Gabriel Machado:

> I would like to have all applications on my Published Applications menu
> on the top level, but can't figure how! I've tried to copy the .menu
> file to the /etc/xdg folder but it didn't changed a thing! It seems only
> to use default categories from freedesktop.
>
> Is it a hard coded feature or there is a file to change its layout?

You need to replace /etc/x2go/applications, which is a symlink (pointing
to /usr/share/applications) by default, with an actual folder.

Copy all *.desktop files (or only those belonging to applications you
wish to publish via X2Go) from /usr/share/applications to that
newly-created folder, then, in each *.desktop file, change the line
starting with "Categories=" to "Categories=X2Go-Top".

Note that you will have to repeat this process whenever the content of
one of the original *.desktop files changes, or your entries will be out
of sync.

The folder /etc/xdg has nothing to do with this.
Only /usr/share/applications and /etc/x2go/applications are relevant for
what you intend to do.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur