[X2Go-User] SSH key generation in Windows

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Thu Mar 3 16:17:47 CET 2016

Am 03.03.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Sébastien Ducoulombier:
> Hello,
>

> I am considering restricting access to my X2Go servers : I'd like to
> disable password authentication.
>
> I need all my X2Go client users to generate their own SSH keys and
> transfer the public part to the server.
>
> I wrote a simple guide for Linux and Mac users, but I still miss Windows
> support, since I do not have windows systems around me.
>
> I found
> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:advanced:authentication:passwordless-ssh#windows-client
>
> Does that wiki documented procedure work with XP, Seven and W10 ?

It SHOULD (tm).

However, Windows users might prefer a more GUI-ish approach.

Check out PuTTY:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

There's PuTTYgen (a GUI to create and manage keyfiles) and Pageant (an
SSH agent for Windows).

Do note that PuTTYgen by default creates private key files that are only
usable with the other tools from the PuTTY suite (like Pageant), NOT
with X2GoClient itself.

So you can either use Pageant and load the PuTTY-style private key file
into that, then tell X2GoClient to use an agent-stored key (leaving the
path to the key file blank in the session configuration), or you need to
export the private key using PuTTYgen into the standard format.

-Stefan