[X2Go-User] X applications fail after su - on x2go connection

webe3vt at aim.com webe3vt at aim.com
Mon Jul 11 18:31:58 CEST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de>
To: x2go-user <x2go-user at lists.x2go.org>
Sent: Mon, Jul 11, 2016 10:58 am
Subject: Re: [X2Go-User] X applications fail after su - on x2go connection

Am 11.07.2016 um 15:15 schrieb webe3vt at aim.com:
> When I am connected to a Debian server through x2go, my X applications
> work.  When I su - user2 then try any X application they don't work.
> For example emacs will start in terminal mode and java applications give
> errors such as
> java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':52'
> as the value of the DISPLAY variable
>
> When I echo $DISPLAY before the su -, :52 is the correct display.
>
> I have several other machines that do not have this problem.  How do I
> fix it so that X works through x2go after su -.

There used to be a command "sux" that would allow this, but it's been
removed from Debian - https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sux

Maybe you'll find some pointers here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_authorization#Cookie-based_access

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

Thank you.  I used to use sux until Debian took it away.  You triggered a memory of what I did to make X work after sux was taken away.

I add this to /etc/pam.d/su

session    optional   pam_xauth.so

I found the information in the following links when I was looking for an sux replacement.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/428284/what-is-a-good-alternative-to-the-sux-command

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Running_X_apps_as_root

When I did it on the machine that was not working, it allowed X to start working after su.

Brent Elmer