[X2Go-User] X2Go speed (Gb LAN) vs. pure X

Stefan Seidel sseidel at vub.de
Thu Jan 14 16:12:17 CET 2016

Hi,

I am currently testing X2Go to be a replacement for our (1GBit/s) LAN XDMCP
setup. I have set up a Jessie X2Go-PXE server VM with a Jessie chroot env.

It is working in principle, I can get a connection and the advantage of
session suspend/resume is great. (Although I had to remove the pulseaudio
startup from the x2gosessiond to make it work.)

However, I have two problems:
1. How can I set client-specific X11 options? We have clients with complex
multi-monitor setups. Xinerama doesn't seem to be working, either, once I have
set the screens on the client (using Ctrl+Alt+F1, then xrandr) and connect,
the X session only sees one "big" screen.

2. Speed: for small screen updates (menu items etc.) - I would guess < 10k
pixels - X2Go is very speedy and responsive. For anything larger (Google
Chrome being a serious offender, as it always updates the whole rendering area)
it is much slower. Even just scrolling in Firefox is "laggy". Pure X is much
faster for these large screen updates. I have tried various settings, 4k-jpeg
is almost acceptable speed-wise but still not fast enough.

Test setup:
X2Go-Server: Core i7-860 (4x2.8GHz), 24G RAM
X2Go-PXE: VM with 4GHz AMD, 2G RAM
Clients: Pentium D 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, nVidia Dual-DVI graphics (model 6200
IIRC) with 2 1600x1200 monitors -> 2400x1600 total screen area.
Clients use  NOUVEAU and report Chipset: "NVIDIA NV44"

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Stefan