[X2Go-User] optimizing x2go resource use

Jordan Poppenk jpoppenk at queensu.ca
Tue Feb 9 08:41:35 CET 2016

Dear X2Go users,

I'm working on optimizing resource use of a largish-number of sessions. I made a few optimizations, e.g., disabling xscreensaver, but there were a few things I couldn't figure out on my own. Is someone here able to help?

1) Does X2Go do its desktop rendering on the server's GPU? That is, in building a server to support X2Go sessions, should I buy a fancy graphics card when trying run many sessions; or alternatively multiple core CPU's? If GPU matters, does it matter whether the card is of the GeForce vs. Quadro variety?

2) Does reducing colour depth have any substantive effect on the CPU/GPU/bandwitdth burden on the server? My users don't really need more than thousands of colours. I know this and JPEG quality can be adjusted client-side, but when I played with these settings, it didn't seem to impact server-side bandwidth (which continued to hover around 1Mbit per client even with just a few colours). Should I be adjusting this in the LXDE startup settings instead?

3) Is it fair to estimate that I need about 1Gb of RAM per client (just to load the desktop) just to load LXDE as the desktop?

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan Poppenk, Ph.D.
Canada Research Chair in Cognitive Neuroimaging
Department of Psychology and Centre for Neuroscience Studies
Queen's University
http://popmem.com
613-533-6009