[X2Go-User] Problem Running Wireshark on Ubuntu 16.04.1 x2go Server

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Mon Dec 12 15:49:26 CET 2016

Am 09.12.2016 um 23:25 schrieb Michael Karasoff:

> When I try to run wireshark within an x2go session I get this error:
>
> /failed to get the current screen resources
> The X11 connection broke: I/O error (code 1)
> XIO:  fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server ":50.0"
>       after 383 requests (383 known processed) with 0 events remaining./
>
> I can run Wireshark directly on the console or remotely using ssh
> forwarding, but not under x2go.  I have tried this both under xfce and
> lxde servers, using the OSX client.
>
> Any ideas what I can do to make wireshark work in x2go?

Hi Mike,

my guess is that your version of nx-libs is too old and doesn't support
whatever Wireshark is trying to do there.  Since SSH X forwarding works,
it is most likely not the fault of your X-Server on macOS.

You didn't specify which x2goserver/nx-libs/linux version you are using
on the server, so all I can do right here, right now, is give you the
generic suggestion to try x2goserver and nx-libs from our nightly builds
("heuler" repo), or, if that doesn't help, replace the nx-libs with
those currently under development in the Arctica project.

Please do not attempt this on a production machine, and do make a full
backup first - better be safe than sorry.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur