[X2Go-User] Launchpad cleanup

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Thu Sep 24 21:34:20 CEST 2015

Hi Stefan,

On  Do 24 Sep 2015 12:17:58 CEST, Stefan Baur wrote:

> Am 24.09.2015 um 12:09 schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>
>> Actually, Robert got me correctly. I have removed the build recipes
>> from X2Go's Launchpad configuration _and_ remove the packages from
>> the PPAs.
>>
>> As a community project, we don't support non-support Linux distros.
>> If anyone needs X2Go builds for old operating systems, there are
>> two possibilities (at least).
>
> I don't see a reason why we should remove the packages that were
> already built.  Not providing new packages, not caring about
> dependency issues etc., not providing security fixes, ... for
> unsupported distributions/releases is one thing, but deleting what
> already was there?  Do we really have a good reason to annoy users
> like that (space constraints on our servers or something?)?

There is a simple reason from the past. People more than once revealed
severe issues in X2Go software and required dependencies (that we
provided via Launchpad). We don't want to provide old code for
download containing known bugs and security issues.

> Think of a user that is stuck with an unsupported distribution/release
> for some reason or other.  Do you really want to punish that user for
> not keeping a local copy of the repository?

I can think of them, but as a community project, we do neither have
man power nor resources to support those non-supported scenarios.

> Doesn't sound like a smart move to me ..

Not smart, maybe, but strict. I admit, we should have archives
packages. Maybe someone from the devs should work on
archived.x2go.org/<distro>.

> If we're not limited by disk space or something similar, I would
> suggest moving such packages to a repo that is named
> <releasename>-unsupported or -outdated or -archive.
> At least for the time that the main OS repository is still available
> somewhere, too (think snapshots.debian.org).

Indeed. Good point. To late for lucid now, but someone surely should
work on such a concept and design a site for that.

Greets,

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31