[X2Go-User] Questions regarding mate/video quailty

Harald Heigl Harald.Heigl1000+x2go at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 10:27:23 CEST 2015

Hi,

Cause this mail is quite long - in short - problem solved (at least
for this mailing list), I have still a small problem:
- Right mouse click doesn't work in my x2go session:
- Left click works, middle click, scroll wheel, even the additional
buttons browser back and for are working, but not my ight, I always
have to hit context-menu-key on keyboard which works.
Can you give me a hint of whats going on and how to solve?
- I'm using the latest (4.0.5.0) client version, problem is also on 2
x86 computers (1 client, 1 server) with both fedora 22 set up.

Original - analysed and solved problem:
I went back to an x86-Client with fedora22 on it:
- on the server deinstalled nomachine, which I tried for testing -->
seemed to give some speed-up
- used a preempt kernel -> no real change
- changed the ssh encrypting to blowfish-cbc, arcfour -> little change
(as aes is performant on i7, but not older models)
- used kaffeine --> big speedup
- If I'm using vlc the timebar sometimes moves on, but the video
doesn't change. I don't know what this causes, perhaps some caching or
vlc tries to write a direct write on hardware components.
Parole-player seems to do something similar. kaffeine runs smoth,
picture is not as  good as if I'm sitting in front of my physical-pc
(since I'm compressing here with 16m-jpeg), but good enough.

So x2go-server seems to work at least it works so well, that I don't
notice any real differences.
So I tested with cubietruck (cubieboard 3.0, armhf, mali-GPU) as
client once again:
- nomachine, ssh and kaffeine have also given some significant
speedup. At least a video covering one third of the screen (at
1920x1080p) is running really well, fullscreen is still a little but
jumping, not as bad as before, but clearly visible.

So my problem seemed to be a combination of slow server, "wrong"
player, interfering package (nomachine) and a slow client.
For now I'll try another linux image on client, perhaps the mali-GPU
isn't supported right in my software or the x11 on the cleint is too
old. Perhaps there is also a limit (I don't hope so) what cubieboard
can do. But I think this will be a problem I'll better post in
cubieboard forums.

Thanks for your support!
Harald