[X2Go-User] Problems with x2go

Chris devnullaccount at yahoo.se
Thu Sep 10 09:18:08 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm a long-time VNC user trying out x2go after many people have recommended it, but I can't get it to work well when trying to set up x2go-sessions from Windows, so if anyone can help me out, I'd be grateful.

Issue 1:
First I tried "X2Go Client" and that one just keeps crashing on me. I only need to enter the "session preferences" dialog and as soon as I press ok (independent if I change anything or not), the program crashes and Windows tells me "x2goclient.exe has stopped working". Similar crash if I try to start a session. This with X2Go Client v. 4.0.5.0 (Qt - 4.8.6) on Windows 7. I tried an older version 4.0.2.x which did not crash so there seems to be something off with the most recent version. Known issue?

Issue 2:
So I installed PyHoCa-GUI instead. That one is stable and mostly works. But when I choose "custom command" as the session, it refuses to run any command with an absolute path and only accepts things in places like /usr/bin/. Perhaps it is some path-issue, but it also does not accept things in /home/myname/bin/, which is in my $PATH from the shell. Note: I'm using zsh as my login shell. Is this a bug or am I not supposed to be able to run things with absolute paths? (note: I have double-checked file permissions and the things I'm pointing to under /home are +rw for everyone). I don't want to have to put my session script in /usr/bin/

Question 1:
No matter if I use the "X2Go client" or "PyHoCa-GUI", I don't get the keyboard behavior I would like. Using VNC, it will just map each keypress from Windows and pass those symbols into the server, which is important since I use a custom keyboard definition. That doesn't seem to work with x2go as I get pc104/us both if I tell it to "do not set" or "automatically detect". And if I choose "use custom keyboard", I can only select a "standard" keymap, I have no idea how to tell it to use a custom keymap.
Is it so that x2go can't handle user-defined keymaps and only handles standard keymaps?

Question 2:
Font handling. I don't get the same set of fonts when I run through x2go as I get when using VNC as some directories are missing from the font path. Trying to manually add those from inside the x2go session ("xset +fp /some/path/that/works/in/vnc/") gives an error. Is there something special with the font handling in x2go that is not compatible with all X11 fonts? Running the same xset command from inside VNC succeeds without problem on the same machine.

Version info: the server is running on a Ubuntu machine (14.04) with these x2go libs:
x2goagent: 3.5.0.32
x2goserver: 4.0.1.19
x2goserver-extensions: 4.0.1.19
x2goserver-xsession: 4.0.1.19