[X2Go-User] Keyboard issues

Vicker, Darby (JSC-EG311) darby.vicker-1 at nasa.gov
Fri Oct 30 16:28:08 CET 2015

Using Linux instead of OSX on my MBP isn't an option for me as I need OSX
for several applications in my work environment that aren't supported
under Linux.

The bottom line is that the xmodmap when logging in under tcsh is messed
up.  I have found a good workaround though that I thought I'd share, which
is based on this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7018775/keymap-issues-with-nx-from-mac-o
s-x-lion-to-ubuntu

- Changed my default linux shell on the x2go server machine to bash
- Login via the x2go client and save the good xmodmap via 'xmodmap -pke >
xmodmap.bash'
- Changed my login shell back to tcsh on the server
- Created a shell script that loads the correct key mappings by running
'xmodmap xmodmap.bash'
- Login via x2go and run the shell script to restore the proper keyboard
mappings

As in the stackoverflow thread above, my modifier keys were still not
working so I had to add this to the end of xmodmap.bash:

!
! Now reset all the modifiers too
!
clear shift
clear lock
clear control
clear mod1
clear mod2
clear mod3
clear mod4
clear mod5
add shift = Shift_L Shift_R
add lock = Caps_Lock
add control = Control_L Control_R
add mod1 = Alt_L Alt_R
add mod2 = Meta_L Meta_R

Since the keyboard is still messed up when first logging in, I had to move
the the shell script to the desktop so I can double click to run it.  I've
had limited testing so far but now everything seems to be working well.

I'm guessing I could automate loading the xmodmap file somehow but its not
immediately obvious to me how to detect that the login is under x2go and
not a native login.  Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

And longer term, it would be great if the x2go developers could make this
independent of the user's shell.  But please don't take that as a
complaint - I do very much appreciate having the capability x2go provides!

Thanks,
Darby