[X2Go-User] Massive beginner's woes

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Sun Oct 4 23:37:25 CEST 2015

Am 04.10.2015 um 22:21 schrieb Brian Capouch:

> I am trying to run the client on a remote machine.

> Does an X server already have to be running on the physical machine
> to use x2go?  Do I want to be running in Desktop, Rootless, or
> Shadow mode, and how does one even select such a thing?

That depends on which "physical machine" you are talking about -
client or server.

On the server (remote end), you do not need a running X Server.  If it
has a running X server, you can use X2Go to take over the :0 display,
for remote support.

On the client (local end), you need some sort of X server.  For Linux,
it will be the one you're already running for your regular GUI
session. For Mac OS X, you will use Xquartz.  For Windows, X2GoClient
ships with a free X-Server for Windows, but you may substitute your own.

Desktop/rootless/shadow depends on what you intend to use X2Go for.
These settings are configured on the client, and can be set/changed
individually for every connection you decide to set up (they're saved
as "tiles" you can click on to start a connection).

> I am really motivated, but the complexity of the system combined
> with the limited documentation (e.g. I see there are two
> x2gostartagent processes running, caused by my ssh connection to
> the server machine. What should happen next?) may mean that my
> hopes of using x2go may be dashed.

You did take a look at our getting started/first steps section in the
Wiki, right?
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:usage:x2goclient#getting_started_my_fi
rst_session_profile

> How much does "professional help" run?  All the sites linked to
> the main page are in German. . .

Professional help is 110EUR/h, feel free to contact me off-list if
you're interested.

- -Stefan

- --