[X2Go-User] Massive beginner's woes

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sun Oct 4 22:21:18 CEST 2015

I have been trying--without success--to get x2go running, Linux server
and Linux client.

I tried on my local machines here both Slackware.  I have 4.0.1.5
server-side, and the client is 4.0.5.0.

and then thought, well maybe I'll be better off with a packaged
system, so I spun up a Debian system in the cloud, and used apt-get to
install everything.  There the server is version 4.0.1.19.

I am trying to run the client on a remote machine.

Does an X server already have to be running on the physical machine to
use x2go?  Do I want to be running in Desktop, Rootless, or Shadow
mode, and how does one even select such a thing?

I am really motivated, but the complexity of the system combined with
the limited documentation (e.g. I see there are two x2gostartagent
processes running, caused by my ssh connection to the server machine.
What should happen next?) may mean that my hopes of using x2go may be
dashed.

How much does "professional help" run?  All the sites linked to the
main page are in German. . .

Thanks, and sorry this is so long.

b.