[X2Go-User] Newbie question: What is x2go's relationship to VcXsrv?

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon May 11 11:34:27 CEST 2015

Hi David,

On  Mo 11 Mai 2015 10:56:35 CEST, David Aldrich wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use VcXsrv and have just come across x2go.
>
> Please will someone explain if there is any relationship between
> x2go and VcXsrv?
>
> Why might I want to use x2go instead of VcXsrv?
>
> (I work on a Windows 8.1 machine and want to access GUI apps on
> Linux machines).
>
> Best regards
>
> David

X2Go uses NX technology which requires an XServer on the client-side host.

In X2Go the setup is this:

   o (Windows) client-side: VcXsrv
   o client-side: nxproxy
   o server-side: nxagent (aka x2goagent) (Xserver where the X2Go session
     runs in).

X2Go Client bundles VcXsrv and ships it in its installer. As we
experienced long delays with security fixes in the upstream VcXsrv the
X2Go project's and the Arctica Project's (working on a remote desktop
solution write-up from scratch) team chose to maintain its own
branch/version of VcXsrv [1].

You can use VcXsrv to run local X11 and remote X11 application via the
normal X11 protocol. X2Go utilizes NX technology, which is used for
starting remote X11 application, but the NX protocol does several
things for optimizing the application's smoothness when it comes to
low bandwidth connections.

Mike

[1] https://github.com/ArcticaProject/vcxsrv

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby