[X2Go-User] [OT] Registry Cleaners (was: where are settings stored on Windows)

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 23:24:28 CEST 2015

FYI:

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de> wrote:

> Am 20.07.2015 um 14:31 schrieb James M. Pulver:
>
>> I'm not anyone with special insight, nor have I done a study, but
>> in my personal experience, Registry cleaners like CCleaner have
>> never hurt a Windows computer in any noticeable way. That said, I
>> haven't seen them help noticeably either. To me, the concept is
>> plausible, like defragmenting your disk - but on modern equipment,
>> it rarely makes much difference in the vast majority of cases. And
>> the only possible improvement might be a slight performance
>> improvement - what Registry cleaners do doesn't fix specific issues
>> as far as I can tell. For an almost obligatory automobile analogy,
>> changing your transmission fluid(registry cleaner) is a different
>> sort of thing than rebuilding your transmission(professional
>> registry alterations to address very specific issues).

[...]

Remember that CCleaner is a bunch of tools in one application.

There's the regular "Cleaner", as seen here:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9N3zmmn7mUw/Uqw4V11u2eI/AAAAAAAABfc/gLFAX0Um4qY/s1600/CCleaner-2014.png

The regular "Cleaner" is not a registry cleaner.

The Registry cleaning is under the "Registry" tab.
http://computeropschonen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/screenshot-ccleaner.png

Then there's the 6 other tools (newer versions added "Disk Analyzer" too):
http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ccleaner.jpg

Usually when someone says "I ran CCleaner", they ran the regular
"Cleaner" and not the Registry Cleaner.

-Mike